Thursday, May 26, 2011

Ciao, bella! Do you speak English?

Today was by far the hottest day since I have arrived in Rome. I have been trying to avoid looking like a tourist by wearing cardigans over anything that would show my shoulders and sunglasses to hide my eye color but as Noelle put it: "They know we're American! I don't know why you try to hide it."

So I *gasp* donned a sun dress sans sweater bearing it all (and by it all I mean my shoulders and back). Scandalous stuff, I know, but that was enough to make any person within neck-craning distance practically fall off their Vespa at the shock of it all.

My day started out lazy. Slept in late... again. I just love waking up to Noelle telling me, nay, yelling at me to get out of bed. First I attended Italian class in the market. We learned all the ins-and-outs of ordering fresh fruits, veggies, meats, seafood and cheeses with my professor, Christiano, and his wife, Olga, who can best be described as Mom and Dad figures to those in the class. They showed us a couple inexpensive places to shop and eat as well as where to find amazing gelato.

When class ended Noelle and I walked into the city to get our school books, much to Christiano's amazement, who was baffled by the idea of walking that far. On our way back home we grabbed some pizza and Coca-Cola (which by the way, like almost everything else, is far better over here) and then came home to do homework because, after all, we are STUDYING abroad.

This weekend we are planning a trip to Florence and Pisa with other people on the trip. We've had trouble booking the train tickets though, which is worrisome since we're leaving Saturday morning and already booked a hostel on the ocean called Camping Michelangelo. After giving up on that for the night, we went out for dinner, which to be honest, was kind of a let down. The pasta was something I could have easily made myself. We did stumble across a FANTASTIC gelataria called Old Bridge just outside of the Vatican City. The gelati and staff members were equally delicious so I give it two enthusiastic thumbs up. As we ate the gelato we headed to the Vatican to take in the sights at night sans millions of tourists which I would definitely recommend doing. Not only was it gorgeous but there was basically no one around. We listened to the bells toll at midnight and then made our way back to the Residence.


Ground-breaking stuff, I know. Nothing too big today went on as it was so unbearably hot but we did learn that if you just stare right back at the locals they eventually feel awkward and stop looking at you. No school tomorrow so I am just going to sit back, sip my wine, and listen to some country music. I've been on a weird country kick lately although I'm not quite sure why... maybe its my nationalism bubbling up in me or something now that I am in a foreign country. I will only be worried if this nationalistic spirit turns tourette-like. Buona Notte!


Obama. Da bears.


You have no right to health care.


Damn.

No comments:

Post a Comment