Friday, May 20, 2011

Planes, Trains... and Mercedes Taxis?

Day 1 (5/19/2011 to 5/20/2011):

I traveled from Erie to Philadelphia to Yardley to Newark to London to Rome.

Phew.

I get jet-lagged just typing that out. After 6 time zones, 3 flight delays, and an ill-fated passport incident, I have finally arrived in Roma. It has definitely been a learning experience to say the least. Upon arriving in Italy, we walked through the airport without a problem: flashed our passports, picked up our luggage (which all arrived safely, thank goodness) and breezed through customs. It was not until we were waiting for a taxi to campus that we realized that the passport agent did not stamp our passports. Brilliant. Three American girls who don't know a lick of Italian in a foreign country (illegally, now, at that). An hour and many games of charades later, we finally go the stamps we needed. Yay for being legal (never thought I would have the pleasure of saying that again) and being able to cross being an illegal immigrant off my bucket list.

When we got into the shuttle to the residence, we were looking forward to a nice relaxing ride. Instead, we got a Mercedes taxi and a driver that was apparently Dale Earnhardt in a past life.

So here I sit. Unpacked and clueless about the city that lies beyond the walls of my new apartment building. As my mother likes to remind me, the world is truly my oyster. Here goes nothing and everything all at the same time.



Scrive piu tarde! Ciao.

No comments:

Post a Comment